Thursday, July 3, 2008

DECEIT AND BETRAYAL IN LOW PLACES

This item concerning the so-called "Christian News Service," seemingly owned by the American Family Association (What else would they call themselves?), highlights both the depth of the small-minded and visceral hate that lies behind "religious"and other purported "justifications" of homophobia, despite all the sanctimonious rhetoric to the contrary; the frivolous, fallacious, and dangerous use of the designation, "Christian," by people who seek to exclude others from full participation in the civil rights that they, themselves, enjoy, and the fact that we should not waste our time seeking to "reason" with such small-minded people who would engage in such tactics as described in the article linked below but, rather, expose them.

Check out this article.

Small minded professing Christian homophobes also deceitfully distort legitimate research in order to "justify" their exclusionary rhetoric (which often handsomely pays off for them), as seen by the following two videos that deal with Dr. James Dobson:

Dr. Judith Stacy


Dr. Carol Gilligan


This is the text of the letter Dr. Gilligan wrote to Dr. Dobson:

Dear Dr. Dobson:

I am writing to ask that you cease and desist from quoting my research in the future. I was mortified to learn that you had distorted my work this week in a guest column you wrote in Time Magazine. Not only did you take my research out of context, you did so without my knowledge to support discriminatory goals that I do not agree with. What you wrote was not truthful and I ask that you refrain from ever quoting me again and that you apologize for twisting my work.

From what I understand, this is not the first time you have manipulated research in pursuit of your goals. This practice is not in the best interest of scientific inquiry, nor does bearing false witness serve your purpose of furthering morality and strengthening the family.

Finally, there is nothing in my research that would lead you to draw the stated conclusions you did in the Time article. My work in no way suggests same-gender families are harmful to children or can’t raise these children to be as healthy and well adjusted as those brought up in traditional households.

I trust that this will be the last time my work is cited by Focus on the Family.

Sincerely,

Carol Gilligan, PhD
New York University, Professor


When homophobes exist, let alone when they portray themselves as "Christians," and also engage in mean spirited tactics, even tactics that distort legitimate research, all in the service of promulgating a false gospel of legalism and exclusion, they deceive and betray anyone, anything, and everything that has to do with the Gospel of Christ and the love of God!

And any Christian worthy of the name will both shun and condemn their besmirching of both the truth, Christians, the Gospel, and the very name of Christ!

In this connection, I'm reminded of the admonition of the Apostle Paul to all Christians: "Ye cannot drink the cup of the Lord, and the cup of devils; ye cannot be partakers of the Lord's table, and of the table of devils." (1Corinthians 10:21)
Share |

No comments: