Tuesday, June 3, 2008

AN EXCELLENT ARTICLE ON REV. PETER J. GOMES

UPDATE: FORTUITOUSLY, AN AUDIO SERMON BY REV. PETER J. GOMES JUST APPEARED ENTITLED, "FROM ANXIETY TO SERENITY." WHEN YOU HAVE 45 MINUTES, I STRONGLY URGE YOU TO LISTEN TO THIS SERMON. I'M NOT AT ALL EXAGGERATING WHEN I SAY THAT IT MAY VERY WELL CHANGE YOUR LIFE, YOUR PERSPECTIVE OF THE CHURCH AND WHAT IT'S MEANT TO BE ON THIS EARTH, WHAT IT MEANS TO BE A CHRISTIAN, AND WHAT IT MEANS TO LIVE A TRULY GODLY LIFE. THIS IS THE LINK TO THAT AUDIO SERMON.


Rev. Peter Gomes: "I determined that I would make my best effort to represent my understanding of the Bible and Christian faith as it applied to the heart of the present discontents . . . . I wanted all and sundry, but particularly these young homosexuals and their polemic antagonists, to see that there was more than one way to read the Bible and to understand the imperatives of the Christian faith....I also wanted to win minds and hearts, or at least awaken them, to a view of Christian faith which in dispute valued charity and humility over mean-spiritedness and arrogance."

[Read the full article, here.]

If you haven't read anything about the this erudite man of God, I strongly urge you to, at the very least, read: "The Good Book: Reading the Bible With Mind And Heart"; "Strength For The Journey"; "The Good Life: Truths That Last In Times Of Need."

Each one is simply superb! They are extraordinarily insightful, beautifully written, characterize his brilliance and eclectic ability to articulate the truths of the Bible and of Christianity both in and of themselves, as well as in their application to the issues and problems that confront all of us as we navigate our ways through this often mysterious life.

Beyond his erudition, he is a man of faith and courage that bespeaks the noblest aspirations of any true disciple of Christ!
Share |

No comments: