Thursday, July 30, 2009

AN EXCELLENT POST BY DON CHARLES: THE 2ND DUMB DORA AWARDS


My good friend, Don Charles, has a two-part post entitled, The 2nd Dumb Dora Awards on his excellent blog, Christ, The Gay Martyr that I urge you to read.

Part of his post reads as follows, and clearly deserves your attention and wide distribution:

Barely had I cleared away the streamers and confetti from my first Dumb Dora Awards celebration than new nominees started presenting themselves. "No!" I cried. "It's too soon! Shouldn't there be at least six months between awards ceremonies?" I resisted, but it soon became apparent to me that ignorance follows its own timetable.

Over and over again, I was astonished by routine displays of arrested intelligence among Gay activists. I saw idiocy on parade; buffooneries by the dozen; lunacy galore! There were clowns to the left of me and jokers to the right, each new one more embarrassing than the one that came before. Believe me, darlings, I was simply spoiled for choice!

Yet somehow, I did manage to choose, narrowing down ten winners from scores of finalists. Now here we are again, gathered together to honor the dishonorable; my eyes glisten with tears as I watch my presenters line up behind the imbecile's podium, holding the dreaded tin jackass statuettes. These tokens of contempt will all be in the hands of deserving recipients when this evening is over. Conductor, cue the orchestra; stagehands, draw back the curtain! Let the 2nd Dumb Dora Awards begin!


Don Charles characteristically pulls no punches in naming names and dealing forthrightly with "activists" who, in one way or the other, have capitulated to the mind-set of the oppressor!

At a time when the struggle for civil rights must be ratcheted up, such betrayal of LGBT rights that Don Charles points out must be highlighted and condemned!

Please click on this link to read Don Charles' full two-part post, and please alert those on your mailing list to read it and widely distribute it as well.
Share |

2 comments:

genevieve said...

I read Don Charles' posts and they were excellent. I spend much time encouraging gay and lesbian folks that there is nothing wrong with them. Then these so-called gay icons make a mockery of what we fighting against.

Just as I find N***** offensive, I feel the same way about f***** and the other words. I don't use them at all.

Jerry Maneker said...

Hi genevieve: I think it's likely that increasing numbers of LGBT people and allies will come to see the truth about the traitorous use of hateful epithets used against them by the oppressor with which to identify themselves and others. Their use is not only counterproductive, but traitorous as well. By use of such terms, LGBT people betray their unconscious and/or conscious shame and self-loathing; make a mockery of what is called "activism" by those who call themselves "activists," who assert pride, while continuing to use those terms. Moreover, "fagsploitation" of any kind is so demeaning that its very existence in supposedly Gay rights and Gay oriented publications is nothing short of contemptible. Best wishes, Jerry.